There can be many cases when you will need to adjust a toilet float. If you own a house, there is a good chance that you will occasionally experience flushing troubles and extra water in your toilet tank. Low water levels in the tank might be caused by a leaking toilet tank or blockage.
While you may engage an expert to handle the problem, understanding how to do it yourself is a better alternative. Before you decide how to limit water waste or low water levels in the toilet tank, you must first determine whether adjusting the toilet float is the best answer.
First, identify the type of float in your toilet. A floating device is used in the majority of antique toilets. When the water level in the tank is too low, your toilet will not function normally. You’ll notice it soon, but don’t be alarmed. Typically, the remedy is to adjust the toilet float. Even if you have no plumbing skills, you can easily fix it yourself. The entire task will take no more than five minutes of your time.
Let’s have a look at the types of float and how to adjust a toilet float step by step.
Types of Toilet Float
Currently, there are four types of toilet floats used in the USA. In this article, I’ll explain each type and how you can adjust it easily without the assistance of a professional.
1. Ball-and-arm float
The most frequent variety is a ball-and-arm float. It is also known as a float ball and is shaped like a tiny ball. It features a lengthy arm that holds a large empty plastic ball.
A long metal rod connects it to the toilet fill valve. The ball lies on top of the water, and when you flush the toilet, the ball glides downward as the water drains. Following that, the tank begins to refill, with the float controlling the quantity of water that enters the tank.
This is a standard form of toilet float. It has been used for decades and may still be seen in many households today. If you discover that the volume of water in the tank has gone below the typical level, you may easily adjust the toilet float ball.
2. Float cup
The toilet float of this kind is cup-shaped. Because it is a vertical pipe adjacent to the toilet fill valve, it is referred to as a cylinder float. The cup floats on the water’s surface, defining its height. The higher it goes, the greater the tank’s water level. The same idea holds true in reverse: lowering the float cup lowers the water level.
A float cup is often referred to as a float cylinder. It is much smaller than a float ball. Float cups are fitted on the fill valve’s vertical body. Because they can be used with both single flush and dual flush toilets, they are particularly popular with contemporary toilets.
3. Internal float
The third type is a more sophisticated cylinder float. Internal floats may more accurately set the water level and are mainly seen in contemporary toilet tanks. It spreads from the fill valve to the tank’s bottom, near the flush valve. The system is similar to the float cup, however, there are several distinctions.
If your toilet refills loudly, this is the toilet float you need. This sort of toilet float is newer and somewhat better than the float cup. The major benefit of installing one of these is that it slowly refills and has more accurate water cut off.
4. Cylinder float
Cylinder float is the most recent standard in modern toilets seen in households. It’s also known as a fluid master.
It contains a cylindrical plastic float cup that regulates the upward and downward flow of the water in the fill valve shaft. The usual float ball and rod are not used in the cylinder float: instead, a float is linked to a thin metal rod that regulates the fill valve via a metal spring clip.
Cylinder floats feature several advantages over traditional ball-and-arm floats, including ease of installation, maintenance, and usability.
A step-by-step guide to Adjust a Toilet Float
The first step in adjusting any kind of toilet float is to check the water level inside the tank. Remove the lid and check if the water level is around 1-2 inches (2.5-5.1 cm) below the fill valve and overflow tube. Your water level may be out of balance if it seems higher or lower than this level. Low water indicates that the toilet float is too low, while high water indicates otherwise.
To adjust the float empty the tank. Turn off the water supply to the toilet and flush the toilet. Do not attempt to alter or repair any of the machinery inside the toilet tank unless the tank has been completely empty. Examine the flushing systems to determine their condition. If there is any other fault, you may need to get the item fixed by a specialist. But if it is just a matter of adjusting the float you can do it simply on your own.
Follow the steps below to adjust each type of float.
How to Adjust a Ball-and-Arm Float?
- Examine the float in the toilet tank. If the float looks to be excessively high or low, adjust the float height and observe how the water level changes as you refill the tank.
- Shake up the float. If you can hear water within, you should have it replaced by a plumber.
- Check that the float is not severed from the tank. You can use a screwdriver to raise or lower the float height.
- Restart the toilet and allow the tank to fill for a minute or two. After flushing the toilet, check the water level in the bowl. The bowl should ideally be around halfway filled.
- If the water in the bowl still appears to be too high or low, drain the tank and re-adjust the float until it is correct. If the water level is still wrong after adjusting the float numerous times, contact a plumber.
How to Adjust a Float Cup?
- Look for a large plastic adjustment screw next to the float’s body.
- Turn the screwdriver clockwise to reduce the water level in the tank and counterclockwise to raise the water level.
- If your float does not have an adjustment screw, go down to the fill valve shank and grab the release clip.
- To raise and reduce the water level, move the clip up and down.
How to Adjust an Internal Float?
- The first step is to disconnect the refill tube. Simply squeeze the refill tube between your fingers and pull it away from the valve.
- You may spin the internal float without the refill tube. To release the float, turn it counterclockwise – it doesn’t even have to make a full circle.
- After that, you may easily shift this section up or down.
- Lift the float to get more water in the toilet tank; this changes from a low-flow toilet to a high-flow toilet.
- If not, reverse the process and lower the float by an inch or two.
- When adjusting the float, spin it clockwise to return it to its original position. It will fit snugly against the fill tube, allowing you to replace the refill tube.
- Snap the tubing onto the fill valve using your fingers.
How to Adjust a Cylinder Float?
- Once you have checked the water level and emptied the flush tank, start working on the float.
- A long, thin tube links the adjustment stem to the bigger fill valve. The adjustment stem is used to adjust the amount of water in the tank.
- Squeezing a release clip on the float itself and raising or lowering it to the proper height allows some cylinder floats to be positioned. Raising the dial should raise the water level while lowering it should reduce it.
- Squeeze the release clasp on your float to adjust it to the correct height. If not, you’ll need to find the toilet’s adjustment dial.
- Grip the notched dial on the end of the stem with two fingers. Twist the stem a complete circle clockwise or counterclockwise—clockwise to reduce the height, counterclockwise to raise it.
- Replace the toilet lid and turn the water valve back on once you’ve chosen an appropriate height for the float.
- Flush the toilet a few times to see if the water level in the bowl has dropped or risen. The dish should be around halfway filled. If the level is still wrong after many changes, contact a plumber.
While getting a plumber to fix the toilet is the easiest solution, calling in a professional for a minor task such as adjusting the toilet float is just a waste of your money. unless the float is broken, you do not need any outsider’s help.
Adjusting a toilet float is very simple and I hope you know the do-how now. Just follow the steps mentioned and you can do it in no time. Let me know in the comments if you face any difficulty.